• 407 Route de Front de Neige, Les Gets, France
  • UK: +44 (0)1738 840888
  • France: +33 (0)450 758244

Making Dreams come true

How will Brexit affect your holiday to the Alps?


Rules on travelling to and from European Union countries will change on 1 January 2021.

Will I need a new passport?

No. Your current passport will be valid as long as:

  • It is less than 10 years old
  • Has six months left before it runs out

If you need a new passport - which will be a different colour - the government says you should apply in plenty of time. 

To check if you need to renew your passport, click here 

If you need to renew or replace your passport, click here 

How long can I go for and will I need a visa?

If you're a tourist, you'll be able to travel to most EU countries - plus Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein - without a visa. 

You'll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any rolling 180-day period. 

So, a 2021 Christmas holiday in the French Alps with the Family for a week, followed by a trip quick 5 night stay in February for the fresh powder, would both count towards your 90-day limit.

From 2022, UK nationals will have to pay for a visa-waiver scheme in order to visit many European countries.

What about health insurance?

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will no longer be valid

So, when you arrange your travel insurance you should make sure it has health cover. 

What queue can I use at passport control?

You'll no longer be able to use EU fast-track passport control and customs lanes. 

When you arrive in an EU country (except Ireland) be prepared to show your return ticket. You could be asked to show you have enough money for your stay.

It could also take longer to cross the UK border.

Will I face mobile phone roaming charges?

The guarantee of free roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway ends on 1 January 2021

You should check with your mobile provider to see if you're likely to face extra charges when you travel. The four main UK operators have said they have no plans to reintroduce roaming fees.

The government has passed laws to protect customers, including:

  • £45-a-month cap on using mobile data abroad (then you must opt-in to use more)
  • Requirements for customers to be informed when they've reached 80% and 100% of their data allowance.

Will I be able to drive in Europe?

You'll need to take your Great Britain or Northern Ireland driving licence, your log book (V5C) and valid insurance documents. 

You may need extra documents to drive in EU countries - including an international driving permit or a "green card" from your insurer.

Can I buy duty free?

Passengers from Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) travelling to EU countries can take advantage of duty-free shopping from January 2021.

Current duty-free limits on tobacco and alcohol, which apply only to non-EU countries at the moment, will also increase in the new year.

But there'll no longer be tax-free airport sales of goods like electronics and clothing.


source: BBC News 



‹ Back to news headlines

Please feel free to share the content of this page with your friends – simply click on where you would like to share it.

Let's be Social

> Social Posts

Join our Newsletter

> Subscribe